CAVE CHURCHES ON THE ROAD VIA EGNATIA
Via Egnatia – the ancient Roman road which connected ancient Rome with Constantinople built in third century B.C. 1200 km long, from the Adriatic to the Aegean Sea, with a significant part of it passing through Macedonia and the City of Lights (Lychnidos), was very important travel, trade and military route in that time. Several cave churches can be found on that ancient route. The biking tour starts from Ohrid. After 6 km ride is the first church – St. Erazmus, dating from III century A.C. He was a very important person for spreading the Christian religion in this area, with strong cult respected until today. 200 meters on a single track walk, higher than St. Erazmus, with a magnificent view of the Lake Ohrid and its north and west shore, is located St. Ekaterina, a small cave church dedicated to a young Christian woman who was killed in the III century A.C.
Riding along the lakeshore, the biking tour continues to the neighbor town – Struga, famous for its river lack Drim and the Struga Poetry Nights – an event held annually for over 60 years, where poets from all over the world present their poetry. 5 km from Struga has located the monastery of Virgin Mary with its 13 th century cave church and monk cells hidden in the rock. The yard of the church provides a magnificent view of the lake and its surrounding. Following the lake shore on a 5 km long ride is the village Radozda, famous for its 13 th century cave church dedicated to St. Archangel Michael. Situated high above in the rocks, it provides an amazing view of the lake and Ohrid city. During this tour, it’s possible to be present at a traditional Macedonian wedding or baptism.